Celebrating 50 years of HEAD START… where early education WORKS!
Head Start has served more than 30 million children since 1965, growing from an eight-week demonstration project to include full day/year services and many program options. Currently, Head Start is administered by the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) in the Federal Department of Health and Human Services.
Locally, Head Start /Early Head Start of the Lehigh Valley is run by COMMUNITY SERVICES FOR CHILDREN and reaches over 1200 young children and their families each year. We prepare the poorest children to succeed in kindergarten and engage parents to support their child’s learning and further their success and self sufficiency. For 50 years, Head Start has been known for its:
- Life changing opportunity – Creating a love of learning, leading to HS graduation, college and careers
- Expertise – Engaging parents to support their children
- Leadership – Setting the bar high for birth to 5 health & academic standards
- Achievement – 95% of children healthy & fully ready for kindergarten
50 years of achievement, include:
- Developers of therapeutic Early Head Start model abuse prevention program
- Innovators in child health, well being, and obesity prevention strategies
- Pioneers in Early Head Start, (prenatal to age three) services and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) education for preschoolers
- Collaborators with school districts, health care and other social service providers
- Engagement of parents in children’s lives and reaching their own goals
- Comprehensive services to all children including those with special needs
- Partners in ECE research with DeSales, Lehigh, Penn State, Temple Universities